Curry is such an amazing thing. You can seriously transform a recipe so many ways to make tons of delicious meals! One staple we commonly use for our curries is chickpeas. They are the perfect little bite to be covered in yummy sauces. We prefer quite a bit of spice in our house but if you are cooking for little ones or don't like a lot of spice then feel free to modify to make your curry a little more mild!
This recipe is so simple! You pretty much just gradually add the ingredients and let simmer so you won't need to spend too much time in the kitchen for this delicious dish!
Spicy Coconut Chickpea Curry Recipe
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
ground pepper & himalayan pink salt to taste
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbs curry powder
2 tbs garam masala
2 tbs chili powder*
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (no salt-added)
2 15.5 oz cans of garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 13.5 oz can of full-fat coconut milk
optional: 1-2 tbs arrowroot powder (if you need to thicken your sauce)
prepared brown basmati rice for serving
*If you want a more mild curry, leave out the chili powder. Now that Lucy eats this dinner with us, I only use 1 tbs of chili powder.
1. Add a splash of vegetable broth or water to a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper (if desired), and saute for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add in garlic, curry, garam masala, and chili powder. Stir to combine.
4. Add diced tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Stir to combine.
5. Add in coconut milk and flour. Stir to combine. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat & serve over basmati rice.