I love cooking with mushrooms and onions because they make their own juices, so you very rarely need to use oil for them! We don't totally avoid oil in our house, but we do try to limit it only for when we really need it. If we are going to use an oil it is usually olive, coconut, or avocado oil. We do occasionally use things like grapeseed oil or sesame oil for certain recipes.
Anyways, I never add oil "just because." So this is one of those times where any oil in the recipe would be "just because" therefore, it has no oil!
It takes a little bit of time for the juices to release from the mushrooms and onions, but once it does, you just season and then they're ready to eat!
This recipe is a great weeknight meal because it is quick and easy!
I recommend making or buying some yummy toppings like guacamole, pico de gallo, and cilantro!
Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 tbs chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
freshly ground black pepper to taste
sprouted grain tortillas
Toppings: guacamole, pico de gallo, cilantro, etc
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
2. Once hot, add sliced mushrooms, peppers, and onions.
3. Periodically stir until everything is soft and their juices are released.
4. Add chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper. Stir to coat.
5. Remove from heat and serve with tortillas