These lentil walnut burgers are perfect for summertime! Loaded with good-for-you ingredients, you will feel satisfied after having these for dinner. Lentils are high in fiber and protein while walnuts are a good source of omega-3s and contain iron, selenium, calcium , zinc, and many other vitamins & minerals.
They are quick and easy to make and you may even have all of the ingredients already!
This recipe will make about 6 large burgers or 12 sliders. We enjoy them both ways but sliders are a lot of fun! Our favorite toppings are fresh greens, red onion, and Follow Your Heart Provolone Style Slices on mini pretzel buns!
Serve these up with a side of veggies and you will be ready to go with a satisfying, nutrient-dense dinner!
Lentil Walnut Burgers Recipe
1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cooked brown rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 yellow onion, sliced
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tbs dried basil
1 tbs dried oregano
1. Sauté onions & garlic until soft.
2. Add walnuts to a food processor and process until finely ground. Then add all other ingredients to the food processor and mix until everything is combined. (Following this step, you may want to put the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes so it will be easier to work with.)
4. Heat pan over medium heat & lightly spray with coconut oil.
5. Form mixture into patties and cook 3-6 minutes each side or until nicely browned. If you’re adding vegan cheese, you can put it on for the last few minutes of cooking.
6. Place patties on buns, load up your toppings, and enjoy!